Old 26-07-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID anyone?

"Pete C" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
In message , Pete C
writes
I assume it's a snail. Clinging to my garden wall. Never seen
anything like
it before.
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/wotami/wotami

Capaea nemoralis, or something similar. Famous for having many,
substrate-related, colour morphs.

My guess would be cepaea hortentis. Very common in my garden. Most
folks only see those big brown/green ones.

As far as I undestand it, the difference between nemoralis and hortentis
is the colour of the lip. (brown or white) Too dark for me to go look now.

Oh, please go out and look ;- ) Joking of course. Nemoralis, in my
experience has fewer bands on the shell and your photo fits exactly
hortentis for me. Other views may vary and I never mind being proved wrong.
I am always up for learning from those who know better, but for me, it's
hortentis.