Old 27-07-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Still have whiteflies

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Too bad you can't find and dump a bunch of ladybug larvae... IME,
natural predators work better than any pesticides if you can introduce
them in great enough numbers.

We're not rich enough to buy the numbers we would need to control this
whietfly and mite invasion. Also, it's well known here the ladybugs and
other beneficial insects/bugs don't hang around. In 48 hours they're gone
and you're back where you started but with a lighter wallet.

Note I said "larvae". ;-) Those can't fly.

I collected a couple of hundred ladybugs a few years ago in the
parkinglot at work one night. They were all over the cars near a street
lamp! Guess it was a migration of some sort.

Brought them home and have had a lot of baby ones around ever since.
Guess they laid their eggs before leaving. :-)

Wish I could find some free insects that eat spidermites and whitefly and
their larvae. Tomorrow I'm going to hit them with Need Oil and a dab of soap
again.

--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein