Old 27-07-2008, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Still have whiteflies

"Isabella Woodhouse" wrote in message
We only had a 50' long piece that my husband said he bought two years
ago and just now got around to trying. He said it was reasonable but
does not recall the price. The product is reusable unless it gets torn
up by hail or deer I guess. He asked me to order more for the fall so
I've just started looking at prices. Johnny's has Agribon in different
weights (sorry I misspelled it in my other post). The lightweight
insect barrier is 118" x 250' for $51. It looks like lightweight
non-woven interfacing for sewing. It lets in the light and the rain,
though the heavier stuff for cold weather does block more light. No
doubt others have it too and there are other brands.

I don't think anything can guarantee that you'll never see a bad pest
like the SVB again but, for us, we finally have a really nice crop
without extraordinary effort. The pests may eventually find them, who
knows? But I've already had a better crop by the end of July than I had
in any previous entire season. And best of all, no spraying whatsoever.
I did have to let out a bumblebee today that must have gone in there
when I was pollinating them earlier. I told him there were plenty of
other flowers for him to visit other than the squash. We use ground
staples, rocks and old broken pots to hold down the fabric. And in
places where I needed to join fabric pieces (his test size was not quite
wide enough), I used my quilting gun that shoots tiny little plastic
ties (I use those instead of safety pins for my quilts).

Thank you. It's something for us to consider for next year. SVB are so bad
here most of the gardeners we know gave up on summer squash long ago.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot