Old 27-07-2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Still have whiteflies

"Mike" wrote in message news:LnIik.107$aA5.3@trnddc05...

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message
OK guys, my tomatoes are still covered with whitefly and their small
green
babies that look like minute aphids. My friend, looking at them today,

said
she believes they also have spider mites. Her eyesight is better than

mine.
The NeemOil did almost nothing nor did the Seven dust or Malathion or
Bug-Be-Gone. I also sprayed the garden with 1 Tbs. Epsom Salt per gallon

of
water and if anything, the failed peppers and infested tomatoes look
worse
today. Any suggestions to save our crops this year?

I found Sevin liquid concentrate 1 tablespoon per quart of water in a
spray
bottle works OK.
The spray leaves a chalky residue on the leaves that dissipates in a
couple
of weeks.

I'm real keen now on how to identify, locate, search and destroy crop
infesting parasites.
For instance I found a small worn camping out in a corn silk that would
eventually turn into a big ugly.

The first clue was some small tender leaves that had been chewed.

Sounds like corn ear worm, another very common garden pest where I live. If
you beat the CEWs, the coons, crows and deer get the corn. :-)