Old 27-07-2008, 01:32 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default ffs, it never ends.... duck invasion

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
hello.
having now fenced off the veggie garden from the wallabies, we are now
benighted by pairs of wild ducks on the prowl. they enjoy chinese
vegetables
and mizuna. isn't that nice?!

wondering if anyone has had successful anti-duck experience. are they
afraid
of scarecrows, old cds tied above the crops & flashing in the sun, or any
of
those types of methods?

One pair?

no, several pairs & increasing! (fwiw).

I have up to 40 wood ducks at a time strutting up and down the
paddock and into the garden. So far they haven't done any damage.

As for what to do - get a Kelpie. The one that I have knows that ducks
are
OK but commorants (fish thieves) are not. You could easily tell him ducks
are
not welcome and commorants are OK.

on this particular matter, my damn dog is letting me down badly! i'm leaving
the gate open (during the day) to encourage him. i will persist!

the wildlife just knows when he's not around, though. (sigh!)
thanks david.