Old 27-07-2008, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Taken yesterday

On 26/7/08 19:21, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Jul 25, 11:51 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/7/08 21:41, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
I too these of my baskets and pots, all of which I grew from seed
except the hanging pink begonias. Tonight it is raining, thank
goodness as it is parched here.

http://i36.tinypic.com/14x0654.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/15i9g85.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/nwggo4.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/15xqnw5.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/jq6lmv.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2upxzix.jpg

Judith

Those look *wonderful*. Are the white baskets planted up with petunias?
They look too big to be Bacopa. I think that a container with just one type
of plant in it can be amazingly effective and those certainly are.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

They are actually Surfinas same as Petunia I think? I have manged to
keep Surfinas, sometimes, from one year to another by cutting them
right down to a few stems, keeping almost dry and frost free and then
feeding and growing on in the Spring. I also find that they take
excellent cuttings, one Surfina plant can give me dozens of cuttings
but I believe that strictly speaking, one is not allowed to do this?

Judith

You might like to try the smaller flowered 'Million Bells' some time because
they flower like crazy. But as to taking cuttings, strictly speaking -
very, very strictly! - nobody should propagate plants with PBR on them but
it is totally unrealistic to apply that to the hobby gardener. I suppose if
you took hundreds and started selling them, the breeder might get a bit
irritable! My personal favourite is 'Lime'. I also suggest you try Silene
uniflora Robin White Breast some time which looks like a tiny white
carnation and smells delicious. And do you remember that about a year ago I
posted links to a pic of a 'climbing' pelargonium in a hot sunny corner of
my son's house border? You couldn't do that at your place because of the
winters but you could use it in hanging baskets in summer. It's called 'La
France'! I managed to find the name by sending a pic of it to Fibrex who
identified it. It's a very old variety and a few weeks ago we had some
French people in the nursery who love pelargoniums and who found it with
cries of delight. They come from Brittany and said it's terribly hard to
find now in that area. In fact they said it didn't exist! If you give me a
cyber nudge next spring I'll send you two or three to get you started. The
ones we have all come from cuttings of that one in Jersey so it's very easy
to get going - not unusually. But prolific must be its middle name. That
'climbing' one in Jersey was absolutely smothered in flowers a couple of
weeks ago when we saw it.