Old 27-07-2008, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Runner Bean Flowers "Nipped" Off

K wrote:

Young plants they go for the lot, older plants (above 18 inches) have
toughened up a bit, but they can still be taken. I haven't had any
damage on leaves of older plants, but I have had them felled. It's
infuriating to have a 6ft bean with flowers and small beans forming,
then come out one morning and find it wilting with the stem rasped three
quarters of the way through.

Gah! I imagine 'infuriating' doesn't come close! I will count myself
lucky that hasn't happened to me so far.

Sunflowers similarly - it's the stem they go for. And citrus. And young
shoots of Butchers Broom.

And dill, so it seems. I was most indignant to see my carefully planted
out dill slowly disappear this spring. I'd assumed that like other
herbs, especially fine leaved, drought tolerant ones, the slugs would
leave dill well alone.

It doesn't surprise me when that happens to lettuce, peas or whatever,
but igrowing dill from seed for the first time, it hadn't occurred to me
I'd need to protect it from slugs too.

Peter