Old 27-07-2008, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Highgrove

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:51:24 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:46:34 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:11:55 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Indeed! My ma-in-law is fond of reminding me that when Charles and Di
got
engaged and she asked me what I thought of it, I predicted that the
marriage
would be a disaster.

The odds on you being right are better than 50/50 in UK for any
marriage.

But given that the common herd can divorce and thus end the disaster it
is
immaterial what happens in the rest of UK marriages.

Divorce is common in the royal family.

But till the divorce of Charles and Di, it wasn't common for the heir to
the
throne. There was no precedent.

Famous divorces in the royal family are
Henry VIII
Edward almost VIII

Henry VIII was King not heir to the throne and exactly who did Edward VIII
divorce? You must have different history books in the UK than we have in
the former Colonies. I learned that Edward was never married prior to, or
whilst he was the uncrowned King. He did, subsequent to his abdication,
marry a divorcee.

Did you foresee Camilla marriage too?

No, but then I doubted there would ever be a divorce given the
precedents.

Like Princess Margaret, Anne, Prince Andrew ...

None of whom had a realistic chance of succeeding to the throne...

It only needed a royal train or plane crash.

Which is why the heirs to the throne don't travel together.

What do you foresee happening next?

I predict that the next monarch will be named William.

Amazing! but not king of Oz?

'Monarch' would apply to us too. Oz won't do anything about getting rid
of
the monarchy till the Queen dies (much to my disgust) and then we'd have
have a referendum and to stage that would take so long that a new monarch
would already be a reality.

I predict that you will wrong

How? We've already had one referendum on the removal of the monarchy and it
was defeated. I'd be very surprised that there would be another until the
queen dies and from teh instant she dies, there is a new monarch.