Old 27-07-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Whitefly and spider mite infestation

On Jul 26, 8:00 pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:48:13 -0700 (PDT), Chris

wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps anyone who used
chemical pesticides or fertilizers was made to feel so unwelcome, they
just stopped posting. There would be no way to differentiate the two
cases at this point.

Unless you've been here since '93 as I have, along with a bunch of
others who still post here. I've observed over the years the organic
or natural movement becoming more mainsteam. That's why it has
changed. If anyone would have been made to feel unwelcome it would
have been me and a handful who also shared my opinion on the use of
synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.

I have only been around here (rec.gardens) as I am sure you know. I am
however, aware of how things have changed since _Silent Spring_.

That would be counterproductive.

I've been on Usenet for longer than I like to imagine (uh, I think I
posted my first article on rec.arts.sf.written in about 198x), so I
have a pretty thick skin. But someone who comes to a group for the
first time, asking for help, and gets slammed too hard, is going have
a reaction along the lines of "What a bunch of supercilious
assholes!" Anyway, I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to losing my
temper, but really, someone who comes asking for advice can get it
with honey or with fire ants. Which do you think they're more likely
to accept?

Chris

Chris, this is the year 2008. If people are still irresponsibly using
pesticides incorrectly, not having labels to read first, knowing these
can cause all sorts of cancers and other pulmonary fatalities, then
they should not be allowed to garden any more. That sounds
ridiculous and it is ridiculous. People can't unring the bell. This
information has been around for far too long and every garden center,
including the box stores now have a hefty selection of pesticides and
fertilizers which are made of natural substances, not synthesized,
genetically engineered, catalyst dependent crap.

If this was ten years ago, I'd agree. It's all over television, in
mail boxes all over the Internet(s) as our president calls it. Shit,
the guy running our country still says nuke u lure.

Where did I say you were wrong? What I said was, the style of
response also counts. If you tell someone she's stupid and should not
be allowed to have a backyard garden, you're not going to get anywhere
at all. You can shrug and say the person's a dolt and you don't care
if they went off in a huff, but they went off angry and convinced that
anything you had to say was BS. That's what I meant by
counterproductive.

Chris