Old 27-07-2008, 11:34 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike View Post
Its too hot to do any more in the garden for a while so I thought I would
seek advise from the wisdom of this forum.
I have just cleared this area of the garden.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10533?sort=5
I removed a bucket and a half of bulbs from here and want to plant two or
three flowering shrubs. It looked awful before and as it is situated right
outside the bedroom window of the holiday apartment we let I want it to look
better.

This seems to like it here,
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10534?sort=5
so what else would do well and give colour all summer?

Four types of bulb removed. Third from the left are Bluebells but what are
the others?
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10535?sort=5
I would like to re plant these in a clearing up in the woods, but the area
does not get a lot of direct sunlight.

One other question. This Hebe
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10531?sort=5
Looks wonderful both when in flower and when not. Sadly it is now covering
half the path and I would like to cut it back. How/when would be the best
way to cut it back without spoiling its shape.

I have also just shot another walkround, will upload and post later if
anyone is interested.

Mike
Suggested shrubs for summer interest: Weigela Bristol Ruby [red flowers and dark red leaves; a shrub rose with repeat flowering; Callicarpa - purple flowers in summer, purple berries in winter.

The happy shrub is St John's Wort.

The Hebe is best cut back after flowering. The one in your photo will take quite a lot of pruning.

Bulbs = third from left look like Hyacinth. The left hand ones might be an allium.