Old 27-07-2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Still have whiteflies

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article
,
Billy wrote:

The cost of trying to grow some of our own food is more costly than
we'd
pay
at the store we're finding.

So you'd rather pay a lower price to suck down pesticide residues?
Just no accounting for some peoples taste.

Hit the local Farmers Markets.
Ours is every Tuesday.

Not everyone has a farmer's market close by. Ours is at least 30 miles
away. A 60 mi round trip and we learned that many of the so called
"farmers" are nothing but people buying from the big wholesalers and
re-selling it at the FMs. It's no telling where the produce originated.
Also, there is no way to know what chemicals the original farmers used on
the crops.

When gas was under $2.00 per gallon, a 60 mile trip was nothing. That's
no longer true. :-( It's not legal for farmers market sellers to sell
commercial produce! If you know of some that are doing that, you need
to report them.

It's of no use. You can't prove they bought the stuff from wholesalers. Only
those claiming they're selling organic food have to show some kind of
papers. And then there is no telling if what they sell came from their own
organic farm or their friend's farm down the road who uses all kinds of
pesticides. People will find ways to get around anything. Gas here
now is running around $3.85 g.

I can tell by the condition of the FM produce here that it's locally
grown, plus I personally know some of the people. :-)

I've dabbled with the concept of hydroponics to save on water costs...

I looked into it but it's too costly.

--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein