Old 27-07-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default What should I plant here?

On 27/7/08 15:33, in article
, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Its too hot to do any more in the garden for a while so I thought I would
seek advise from the wisdom of this forum.
I have just cleared this area of the garden.
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10533?sort=5
I removed a bucket and a half of bulbs from here and want to plant two or
three flowering shrubs. It looked awful before and as it is situated right
outside the bedroom window of the holiday apartment we let I want it to look
better.

This seems to like it here,
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10534?sort=5
so what else would do well and give colour all summer?

You could plant a cardoon. They come up fairly early here, develop huge
leaves that spread widely and then produce a wonderful artichoke type flower
at the top in late summer/autumn. They're guaranteed show stoppers but they
die back in winter
http://cheesebyhand.com/wp-content/u...on_thistle.jpg

But in terms of good value I think I'd go for a Euryops chrysanthemoides or
pectinatus. Unless you really want to dead head them, you don't have to do
a thing to them other than water them. They 'stop' themselves and throw out
another shoot which then flowers and throws out another shoot which then
flowers and so on and so forth. I should think ours are in flowers 8 months
out of 12, maybe even more. We have them in pots and in beds and banks.
They won't take deep prolonged frost though.

snip

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com