Old 28-07-2008, 06:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default They're all cattleyas now

On Jul 26, 3:29 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
On a different subject I noticed 'Neodiversity' is an electronic publication
that will send printed papers to libraries etc but who basically use
electronic means to disseminate their articles...I thought someone one got
in trouble for using an electronic publication to publish their work.... was
it Braeme? or the kovachii mess? That a hard copy had to be made......?

I'd be interested to know whether this was the case. So long as it's
peer reviewed, which the Neodiversity home page implies it is, there
should be no problem with publishing manuscripts in an electronic
journal. There does seem to be a bit of reluctance particularly
amongst older scientists to see them on equal weighting as 'hard copy'
journals in terms of impact and credibility. However, the fact that
most of the larger journals are publishing online these days and
libraries are starting to cut back on hard copies in favour of
electronic access makes me think that the naysayers are simply
unwilling to embrace new technology. Given the amount of taxonomic
research being published in very low impact factor journals (many of
these journals are little more than herbarium-based outlets for staff
to publish their results) I'm not sure taxonomists can afford to be
too picky.