Old 28-07-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Privet causing a "dead line"?

On 28/7/08 06:54, in article
, "Michael Bell"
wrote:

I am new to this house. The garden faces south and along the front is
privet hedge 6 ft high and 1 ft thick. I have planted plants just to
the north of it which I expected to grow and they have not grown or
grown poorly. This has happened so often that I have come to suspect
it's the influence of the hedge. Any opinions?

I live Newcastle on Tyne - I don't know if that's relevant.

Michael Bell

It's always relevant to post where you live because it affects advice people
give on what you can or can't plant in your area.
But in your case I think the hedge is taking all the nutrients from the soil
and they're struggling for nourishment and water in poor light.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com