Old 28-07-2008, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Privet causing a "dead line"?

On 28/07/08 06:54, Michael Bell wrote:
I am new to this house. The garden faces south and along the front is
privet hedge 6 ft high and 1 ft thick. I have planted plants just to
the north of it which I expected to grow and they have not grown or
grown poorly. This has happened so often that I have come to suspect
it's the influence of the hedge. Any opinions?

I live Newcastle on Tyne - I don't know if that's relevant.

Michael Bell

Yes, privet is notoriously well known for starving the soil of moisture
and nutrients. It's no wonder plants near it are struggling.

Ed