Old 28-07-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Privet causing a "dead line"?

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 28/7/08 06:54, in article
| , "Michael Bell"
| wrote:
|
| I am new to this house. The garden faces south and along the front is
| privet hedge 6 ft high and 1 ft thick. I have planted plants just to
| the north of it which I expected to grow and they have not grown or
| grown poorly. This has happened so often that I have come to suspect
| it's the influence of the hedge. Any opinions?
|
| But in your case I think the hedge is taking all the nutrients from the soil
| and they're struggling for nourishment and water in poor light.

In my experience, it's the water, not nutrients, that is the main
problem. Privet dessicates the soil under it, especially in places
like Newcastle with relatively low rainfall.

I have a neighbour's privet hedge, and used to have one, and nothing
will thrive too close to them for that reason. Cambridge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.