Old 28-07-2008, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Privet causing a "dead line"?

In article ,
Martin writes:

| In my experience, it's the water, not nutrients, that is the main
| problem. Privet dessicates the soil under it, especially in places
| like Newcastle with relatively low rainfall.
|
| Low rainfall? Wrong Newcastle, surely?

Well, I was assuming Upon Tyne, rather than Under Lyme. Look it up;
it's only marginally wetter than Cambridge. In the UK, the rainfall
gradient is west-north-west to east-south-east, and it is a common
myth that we get a lot of rain. What we get is very uniform rainfall
over the year, and essentially nil evaporation for half the year.

'Tis true, Sir!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.