Old 28-07-2008, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default ID help: fragrant crape myrtles?

mleblanca said:

On Jul 27, 5:03 am, Pat Kiewicz

wrote:
I traveled to Sacramento recently with my mother to vist my uncle
(81 this year, and still taking care of his house and garden).

I was able to figure out that the white-, pink-, and rose-flowered
shrubs growing all over town were oleanders.

What's puzzling me are the shrubs/trees growing in huge planters
in front of the Train Museum in Old Sacramento. These were
limbed up quite high (to better to show off their attractive,

mottled
bark, I presume), had somewhat glossy, elliptic leaves, pink

flowers
clustered at the end of the branch, and seemed to be the only
possible source of a distinct, pleasant, flowery scent (which was
something like linden flowers or Cashmere Bouquet soap).

Based on the bark, especially, I thought they might be crape
myrtles. But fter Googling around, it seems that main opinion
is that scented crape myrtles are somewhat mythological.

Pat
If gas weren't so expensive I would just go down to the RR Museum
and see;
I haven't been there for a while.
However, why not have your uncle give them a call and ask
Or if they don't know, have him contact the Sacramento Bee news
garden editor and I'll bet she will be able to tell him/you.
Let us know the answer too!

My uncle, I think, I'll let be. But maybe (if I still have the urge
to know) I'll see if I can email someone myself.

It's not like I can grow crape myrtles here at home...just a bit
curious, is all.

After enlightenment, the laundry.