Old 28-07-2008, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default NOW what??? dead skunk in garden

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/27/08 11:25 PM, in article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

So, do I let nature finish it's work - there are beetles and flies
aplenty.
This is a flower garden and an area I can avoid working in for a few
weeks.
Or do I grab the shovel and heft it to the woods or compost heap.

I these parts it is considered good manners to dispose of corpses on your
land
for the sake of the amenity of neighbours. Now a decomposing skunk is not
going to generate as much perfume as a cow or a horse but I am guessing
your
neighbours are much closer than mine so they may care.

The other issue is whether local scavengers (dogs mainly) are likely to
visit
you or their owners having had a little necrophilliac snack. Such can be
tracked at a distance without radar and bathing them can require breathing
apparatus.

David

I'm going to make a call to Animal Control in the AM. Not much a corpse left
as of Sunday AM. Rabid skunks aren't uncommon, but the way this one favored
a leg, I wondered if it had a glancing blow from car and was on borrowed
time even if it wasn't rabid. Lots of coyotes and owls about here despite
the encroaching civilization.

With all the rain, decomposition was well advanced when I found it. I could
clearly see skull and ribs.

Cheryl

We have many dead skunks lying in the middle of the road along with
occasional deer. I'd cover with lime and dirt and put a rock on it if
needed.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA