Old 28-07-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Some pepper questions

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:16:32 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

What effect does treated water have upon soil microbes?

Charlie

Depending on the chlorine levels, it probably sets them back a bit
if it come straight from the pipe but chlorine is very reactive and
probably gets sponged up quickly by the organics (thus buffering [in the
generic sense] its' effects on the critters). Just figures that
the critters evolved with rain water and standing water and that would
have to be best.

OK, that is a *bit* reassuring. So, one might benefit from the
addition of compost tea to counteract the effect of chlorinated water?

Our water comes from a water tower, 1/3 mile from our home, after a two
mile trip from the treatment plant. I'm gonna check chlorine levels
now....hang on.......

OK...I've got .75 ppm chlorine. Whaddaya think. Scientific wildass
guesses are acceptable. I be no chemistryist, ya know.

Charlie

Whatcha lookin' fo' dog?

EPA guidelines allow up to 4 parts per million (ppm) of chlorine in
municipal tap water. We find this allowance alarming, since a standard
pool test kit shows that levels above 3 ppm are not safe to swim in!
http://www.aquasanastore.com/water-faq_b07.html

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise.../watintro.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_purification

The FDA relies on state and local government agencies to approve water
sources for safety and sanitary quality, as specified in part 129.3(a).
Also, some states have regulations that differ from FDA's in content or
coverage. For example, Texas requires water haulers transporting water
in a tank truck or trailer to maintain a minimum chlorine residual of
0.5 mg/L in the water, whereas FDA does not have any specific
regulations requiring chlorination of water.
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/bo****r.html
This is also reflected in Cl. max. for dialysis water.
http://www.mdsr.ecri.org/summary/det...px?doc_id=8175

If'n you wants to hit the panic button, read here.
http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journa...ience/kb_chlor
ine.html

If'n you wants to be reassured, there is this from down under.
http://www.waterquality.crc.org.au/D...Water_Safe.pdf

Finally,The amount of residual chlorine permitted in water effluents
varies from one facility to another. Normally the allowable amount of
chlorine is typically less than about 100 micrograms per liter as
"total" chlorine.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/53...scription.html

I don'ts wants to be talkin' down to you dog, cause I likes my body the
way that it is (with nuthin' cut off) but to put this into perspective
mg/liter = ppm.

Hope you finds somethin' useful in this missive.

Well, time to go get the cork outten my breakfast. I just hates
to eat on an empty stomach;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars