Old 28-07-2008, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Cactus flower

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:10:24 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But
since it puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning
flower, I thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...uly20th004.jpg

Steve

Looks like an echinopsis, although there are also many echinopsis
hybrids. I have one looking superficially identical. Flowers about 6
inches long, pale pink to white, last a day, and have a delicate
perfume.

Spot on. Probably one of the Abbey Brook or Hollygate hybrids. Reliable
and easy to flower - just keep it cold and dry from September to March.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)