Old 28-07-2008, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Cactus flower

Spider writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message
This cactus flowered this week. Admittedly in a slightly barmy way,
because there was a shelf above it, so it went for the glass. But since it
puts out only one flower for one day, and it's a stunning flower, I
thought I'd share it with you.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff%20we%20g
rew/July20th005.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff%20we%20g
rew/July20th004.jpg

Excellent bloom! I've never succeeded in persuading a cactus to flower,
despite my best neglect techniques. You make me want to try again. Thanks
for sharing it.

Depends on the species as to whether it's easy to flower. As a general
rule (with lots of exceptions), globular ones flower more readily than
columnar ones. Lots of light helps. And occasional tomato fertiliser.
--
Kay