Old 28-07-2008, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Privet causing a "dead line"? (resending because first attempt not showing here)

In article ,
"Steve Turner" writes:

| I measured it more accurately when I went out watering the plants and it's
| about 4 or 5 feet to the trees and 6 to a couple of peonies (paeonies?) and
| a hebe. I had a feeling the roots didn't run far because I don't rememeber
| every finding one when digging.

You can dig between them - if you shove a spade down 12-18", then
you will have cut most of the privet's roots. I do that at the
edge of my vegetable garden (4' from an 8' high privet hedge).
It helps.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.