Old 29-07-2008, 12:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jon[_5_] Jon[_5_] is offline

Default Sick eggplants

brucef wrote:
On Jul 29, 6:38 pm, Jon wrote:
brucef wrote:
For a start "the picture" is overexposed. Try taking the picture earlier
in the morning, when its not so bright.

Yeah, it is a bit crap. The large version is a bit clearer:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/...019d819b_b.jpg

Too cold, no grow. Youre doing well getting them to start at all. Theyre
a summer vegetable.

I was following the guide on the seedling box. Guess I need to be more
skeptical.

Dont be too worried. At least you got it worked out what sort of zone
youre in....

Peas
should be planted "around" now, and alos need support.

Sounds like that will be my next attempt.

Its best if youre starting a garden, to work out the warm spots, and
plant warmth loving plants there,

I only really have the one bed. I don't think there is much
temperature variation, I just try to put the taller stuff on the
south.

Thats the idea.. But youre already making a wind break for smaller
plants in the northern part in your garden, which will then get a break
from cold winds from there... an example of a zone...

I'm only renting my place, but having been there for ten or so years,
and find a vege garden, being seasonal is a great idea.
The flower garden is great as well, but you need to have a good lease to
put any effort or money into that.

The vege garden takes very little time except for watering and initial
setup.
Even a small garden has its hot and cold spots. Near a wall for
instance, or a water tank that exposed to the sun during the day is
enough to retain temperature to help plants which suffer from cold..

Some hothouses use a water container of sorts to keep temperatures more
stable at night.....
Brrrr. Just got the latest overnight temperature in Melbourne. My area
is in for 1 below Nasty...