Old 29-07-2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How can I save my dying plants?

jenijenijeni wrote in
:

Hi there,

I've signed up to this forum as I have recently started to grow
vegetables out on my patio/balcony in pots and am having varied
success.

A couple of weeks ago I bought some (very) reduced pepper plants from a
shop, in the hope that some tender loving care would restore them to a
healthy plant. When I got them home I realised I may have been a bit
hasty - once I cut the dead off the plants, only one was left with any
leaves (though it seems to be quite well!). The other two, now just
sticks, are sitting in 'miracle grow' soil having been repotted. They
remain sticks, and as hard as I look I see no signs of new growth.

I just followed some advice from a site which suggested cutting off all
dead/ sick leaves (already done), then watering with cold coffee and
tying a plastic bag around the entire plant to create a mini
greenhouse. I have done this on all three pepper plants, including the
healthy one, plus a half-dead kiwi plant I also purchased.

I am now worrying that I may have sealed their fate, and was hoping
that someone might be able to offer me some advice, such as what else I
can do and when (if at all) I should expect to see some new growth? Or
have I out-and-out now killed them?

Thank you in advance,

Jeni

I picked up some root bound tomatoes, and expected half the plants to die
off. Of those that survived, the ones that seem to be doing best are
getting partial shade and regular water. The ones that get full sun
aren't doing so well, as they're burning up.

Tomatoes are a lot heartier than peppers, so you might not get the same
results.

Puckdropper