Old 29-07-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Control Of Weed Called "Selfheal" In Lawn - Help Please !!

On 29 Jul, 17:35, tbg wrote:
Hi,

I have several occurrences of a weed known as "Selfheal" in my lawn.
It has not reached the point where it is becoming rampant but I have
pulled up approximately 20 of the spreading web like shoots that I
have so far located.

On reading a bit about it I think I need to take some positive action
now rather than later to control the weed.

Can anyone please recommend an efficient treatment that I can purchase
in the UK to get rid of the "Selfheal" that will not compromise my
lawn.

Regards
"Anxious In Surrey"

First of all - why? it's an attractive native plant as Sacha has
already said. However if you must, it is a typical plant of rather
impoverished lawns that are probably very compacted and have probably
been mown too short. You can reduce it a lot by helping the grass to
compete more effectively. Mow frequently but set the mower a bit
higher. Do some work on relieving the compaction, a good feed now and
plenty of water if the monsoon hasn't yet arrived in your neck of the
woods. Scarify vigorously as well. I'd see how you do over a couple of
seasons of that before resorting to selective weedkillers. You'll be
surprised to see how the mix of grasses and other plants changes
according to how you manage it.