Old 29-07-2008, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Control Of Weed Called "Selfheal" In Lawn - Help Please !!

On 29/7/08 18:46, in article
, "Rod"
wrote:

On 29 Jul, 17:35, tbg wrote:
Hi,

I have several occurrences of a weed known as "Selfheal" in my lawn.
It has not reached the point where it is becoming rampant but I have
pulled up approximately 20 of the spreading web like shoots that I
have so far located.

On reading a bit about it I think I need to take some positive action
now rather than later to control the weed.

Can anyone please recommend an efficient treatment that I can purchase
in the UK to get rid of the "Selfheal" that will not compromise my
lawn.

Regards
"Anxious In Surrey"

First of all - why? it's an attractive native plant as Sacha has
already said. However if you must, it is a typical plant of rather
impoverished lawns that are probably very compacted and have probably
been mown too short. You can reduce it a lot by helping the grass to
compete more effectively. Mow frequently but set the mower a bit
higher. Do some work on relieving the compaction, a good feed now and
plenty of water if the monsoon hasn't yet arrived in your neck of the
woods. Scarify vigorously as well. I'd see how you do over a couple of
seasons of that before resorting to selective weedkillers. You'll be
surprised to see how the mix of grasses and other plants changes
according to how you manage it.

Does what you are describing mimic land grazed by sheep, Rod? I know I'm
off on a dream of my own here but I wonder if our Surrey gardener can't be
persuaded to start a new fashion in his corner of Surrey? (says she who
lived in Haslemere for a little time and thought then, in the 70s, that
Hostas were 'boring'!)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com