Old 30-07-2008, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Some bug ate the leaves off my tomato plants

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:46:59 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

"vorange" wrote in message
I thought I'd get a head start and plant my tomatos early this year.
Everything was going well. I planted a whole bunch of heirloom
tomatoes (yellow tomatoes, orange tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, tomatoes
I had cross polinated myself - a beefstake tomato with a tiny cherry
variety).

I planted them in trays, they sprouted, I transplanted them then to
the garden. Some damn bug chewed all the leaves up and killed them
all.

It annoys me no end that they destroyed my tomato plants.

I lost all my heirloom tomato seeds and the ones I had cross polinated
last year. I wanted to see what they would result in. But now its
all gone including my seeds.

You didn't see the damage as it was occuring? How often do you check your
garden? I don't believe bugs did all that damage in one night.

A tomato hornworm can take a branch off of a medium sized tomato plant
overnight. Several worms and fairly small plants overnight would be
long enough.

True but they didn't fall from the sky 3" long. :-) You got to catch those
suckers before they reach a size were they can do such horrific damage.
We're always on the lookout for evidence of hornworms.

The OP seems to be in Canada and I doubt that his plants have been in
the ground 2 months.