Old 30-07-2008, 12:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default compost

"RichD" wrote in message
The local grocery has a compost recycle bin,
for food scraps etc. Even the plates and utensils
go in there.

I was wondering, what constitutes 'composting'?
I mean, does it simply get dumped into a big grinder,
or is there some enzymatic chemistry involved?

Yes enzymatic chemistry is invoved as all living things use enzymes. Physical
grinding is often used as part of the process to speed up decomposition but if
you are prepared to wait this isn't required. The breakdown activity is
mainly done by microorganisms, like fungi, but worms, insects and other little
greeblies play in there too.

And who/how/where receives it?

In this particular case I have no idea. In general ordinary people with
gardens and serious growers both use it. We have been doing it for 1000s of
years. It is not some New Age Fad.

Is it really
superior to petrochemical fertilizer, or is it
guilty conscience liberal feelgoodism?

Compost is not a complete fertiliser as you need some additional inputs
because not all the elements required for plants are fully recycled in this
way. However in some ways it is much superior to synthetic fertiliser as it
adds organic matter to the soil which is essential for healthy soil.

Composting is a way of getting value from what would otherwise be a wasted
resource. So it gets rid of garbage, saves having to get fertiliser and
organic material from some other source, saves money and improves your garden
at the same time.

There are many "recycling" schemes. Some work well, some work a bit and some
are nonsence. Composting is one that works. It may be that even conservatives
have been known to do it but probably only with the lights off under a
blanket.

David