Old 30-07-2008, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Derby[_2_] Mike Derby[_2_] is offline

Default Learned something new today

"Wally" wrote:
And I keep telling them they mustn't lay eggs on
my cabbages, but do the listen????
anyway I didn't kill them, they committed suicide by
getting too close to me. )

Rather than use any chemicals, my late father and I used to
spend many a happy hour on our allotment rubbing the
butterfly eggs from the cabbage leaves with thumb and forefinger.
Those we missed soon turned into caterpillars which also had
to be picked off. As we grew a wide range of Brassicas, for us,
netting was out of the question. Happy days indeed.

MD