Old 30-07-2008, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Control Of Weed Called "Selfheal" In Lawn - Help Please !!

On 30/7/08 14:00, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On Jul 30, 1:34*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Jul 30, 6:32 am, tbg wrote:

One mans meat is another mans poison, hence, I have decided to poison
the weed with a vigorous effort by attacking it with a selective
weedkiller with a follow up treatment later on.

In addition I shal make efforts to improve the general well being of
the lawn by aeration etc.

Now, wheres my nearest stockist of a large box of 2,4 dichlorophenoxy
acetate, prunella vulgaris will be vulgar no more, it will be dead.

Rgds

You could just use tarmac or if you want a green look, try astroturf
or just get an apartment with no garden.

:-) Some people have too much time on their hands, or plan to use
their lawns for putting practice.
My lawn is chocfull of weeds, including the selfheal in question, a
couple of patches. Lots of daisies, and white clover, the odd
thistle, docks and god knows what else.
But when clipped tight - which weather permitting I try to do every
week end - it looks lovely and densely green, and it is particularly
nice for a kickaround, or even to lie out on on the couple of days in
the year that that odd shiny hot object appears in the sky.
Between clippings, it is lovely and "enameled" (as they apparently did
in medieval times) with white and gold daisies, purple selfheal and
white clover.
Life's too short to be anal about lawns, in my book :-)

Cat(h)

The preoccupation with lawns seems to be an intensely British passion. That
slab of bowling green is essential to some peoples' peace of mind. In Crete
we saw several villas with immaculate lawns nobody ever sat on because they
all sat on the terraces of their pools. It infuriated the locals, to whom
water is immensely precious, to see it wasted on these meaningless bits of
greenery which aren't even useful to a goat! Our lawns have daisies, a few
dandelions, violets, some clover, and enchantingly, white violets on one of
them. Under a tree we have cyclamen, bluebells, daffs.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com