Old 30-07-2008, 04:33 PM posted to sci.chem,rec.gardens,alt.survival,sci.environment
Frank Gilliland Frank Gilliland is offline

Default compost

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:59:18 -0700 (PDT), RichD
wrote in
:

The local grocery has a compost recycle bin,
for food scraps etc. Even the plates and utensils
go in there.

I was wondering, what constitutes 'composting'?
I mean, does it simply get dumped into a big grinder,
or is there some enzymatic chemistry involved?

There are jillions of excellent websites on the subject. Some of the
best are through local Cooperative Extension programs from educational
institutions like WSU, Florida State and Cornell.

My own practice of composting includes both a compost pile and a worm
box. The compost pile works by bacterial decomposition (mostly) and
gets real hot. It gets lawn and garden debris. The fresh veggie scraps
go into the worm box. Worm poo is an outstanding fertilizer. The
compost pile gets dug up and mixed into the soil only once or twice a
year, while the worm box produces continuously, more or less.

And who/how/where receives it? Is it really
superior to petrochemical fertilizer, or is it
guilty conscience liberal feelgoodism?

F*** the environment -- composting is better, cheaper, safer, and you
can do it all yourself.