Old 30-07-2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
YMC YMC is offline

Default compost

"Jake D" wrote in message
and turn it to compost. Heat and moisture in appropriate amounts
speeds up the process. Is it better than chemical fertiliser? Well,
it's better for the environment - and better for the soil you add it
to, not the least because it contains fibrous vegetable matter which
improves the quality of the soil you add it to. It works best when it
contains sufficient nitrogen and other nutrients required by the
plants you intend to grow.

Does the compost pile get hot enough to kill most of the weeds and their
seeds though?

One of my gardener friends advised me to put the cut grass, garden
clippings, weeds into a plastc trash bin for about a month with some water
inside - before putting it into the compost pile. That way - more weeds and
seeds would die.

A more through way, he explained, was to make compost tea - and soak the
weeds into water til they rotted.