Old 30-07-2008, 07:30 PM posted to sci.chem,rec.gardens,alt.survival,sci.environment
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default compost

Rich

In MODERN ARBORICULTURE we compost our tree trimmings that have been
chipped. When we say composted tree trimmings we mean that the material has
sat in a pile for at least a year. The stuff I use and sell is 2,3, or even
4 years old. It has a nice dark color acquired by the composting process.
I do not use dyed mulch. The compost meaning that the living parenchyma
cells have dies and the contents of the cells are digested. I.e., the
parenchyma cells that made up the sapwood at time of trimming. The problem
with using fresh chips is that the protoplasm from the inside of the
parenchyma cells gets smeared all over the place. This protoplasm attracts
undesirables that can and do do nasty things to trees above as well as below
ground. This could cause disease. The microorganisms attracted to
protoplasm are those that attract defense cells in trees. Now, the webwork
of living parenchyma cells in trees (all parts of a tree are born alive) is
collectively and correctly termed the "symplast". The cells are connected
and can conduct electricity, thus the SHIGOMETER (a pulsed uhm meter) comes
into play. Now the more composted the wood chips, leaves and needles the
better. The more composted the less chances of artillery fungus on your
house or structure. I cannot mention mulch without some lucid instruction.

1. Do not remove grass by digging before mulching. Because the grass roots
grow deeper than the non-woody roots of the tree which would be removed with
the grass. Just cut the grass low and place mulch on top.
2. Mulch should be kept back at least 6" from trunk and trunk flare.
Should not touch trunk.
3. Mulch should be no more than 3-4" thick. If the non-woody roots grow
into this gradation of mulch then you have too much and some should be
removed.
When this mulch dries out first, as it does, the non-woody roots die and
abscission zones do not form and an entrance for micro's into the tree is
created.
4. Mulch should be FLAT!
5. Done correctly mulch plays a key role in vitality management of the tree
as well as associates.
6. I mention this gradation because in nurse logs or fallen trees in a
forest roots from other trees grow into nurse logs into holes created by
organisms such as borers. The nurse log will become a sponge and retain
water for the trees to use during dry time. What I am trying to say is
mulch comes in different gradations.

This is what composting means to be. When wood breaks down to a material
like coffee grounds, the material is termed "new soil".
The major theme in nature is buildup and breakdown. Composting is a break
down process.

This are my thoughts on compost with respect to MODERN ARBORICULTURE and A
NEW TREE BIOLOGY!

MULCH stuff: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"RichD" wrote in message
The local grocery has a compost recycle bin,
for food scraps etc. Even the plates and utensils
go in there.

I was wondering, what constitutes 'composting'?
I mean, does it simply get dumped into a big grinder,
or is there some enzymatic chemistry involved?

And who/how/where receives it? Is it really
superior to petrochemical fertilizer, or is it
guilty conscience liberal feelgoodism?

--
Rich