Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Victoria Clare

Default ugly mystery tree

"bnd777" wrote in news:b6sq99$nt0$2
@hercules.btinternet.com:

Sounds like a job for a stump grinder along with Root Out

Yes I could get the stumps out, but I am not sure if even Root Out would
work on such a large area of root. I have used it on willows before, and
although it eventually worked, sort of, I found it tended to kill the main
plant but not necessarily the semi-detached root networks of suckers (which
are the real problem).

If I can get it to produce better blossom and perhaps some fruit, I think I
can live with it. It is right at the far end of the garden, so it has a
way to go before it starts attacking the house!

I have started underplanting it with ramsons, bluebells and wood anemones,
and if I think of it as 'cherry plum woodland' it becomes less
objectionable.

Victoria