Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sherwin Sherwin is offline

Default Pear trees need a pair for pollination

symplastless wrote:
Please show me where I posted regarding the female and male order of pear
trees. I did not because I did not know. I did not write question and
answer.
"sherwindu" wrote in message

symplastless wrote:

I did not write this.

QUESTION: "I have been told you need two pear trees to produce fruit.
I just planted an ornamental pear, FLW Cleve Select. My neighbor just
across the road was told if you have another pear tree within a half
mile, that would work for the second tree. He wants to plant a pear
tree. My question: will my ornamental work for his "second" pear tree
if he plants a fruit bearing pear or does he need two of his own?
Thanks for your time and help." -- Mickey VanSickle

ANSWER: Ornamental flowering pears will not work to cross pollinate
fruiting pear trees. When planting a fruiting pear tree, a second
variety of a pear tree should be planted within about 300 feet for
cross pollination. The two fruiting pear varieties should either bloom
at the same time or overlap their blooming period. Otherwise,
pollination will not occur.

Here is a case where both the Plant man and symplastless got it
completely
wrong. Ornamental Pear trees and Fruiting Pear trees are both the same
cultivars, Pyrus. Some Pear trees are self-fertile, like Seckel. Other
pear
varieties will not act as pollinators for other varieties because of
genetic
differences. However, in your case, the Ornamental Pear should do fine.
There is a very nice chart of which pear trees pollinate eachother at:

www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/Garden/07002.html

Hope this helps,

Sherwin

You may have not posted the original question and reply, but you did
reply to the email with your additional comments. However, you did not
correct the original reply, so either you did not see it or you agreed
with it. I tend to think it was the later. Do you just look for
posting about trees and add your boilerplate without checking the contents?

Sherwin