Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Earthmaker compost bin good or gimmick?

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Well it will work, but so will a black dalek at £5, Thought £129 was
outrageous. I would buy 3 or 4 standard bins, however clever it is the
volume at the top was not very large and I suspect you would fill it
within an hour of starting your shredding.
(This time of year I shred into bags and stuff round the back of things
till I start cutting back in autumn and can see the ground again!)

Thought it might be over the top Charlie, thanks for the input.
I have been trying to clear the rotten pallets from the back of the
garden , (they sued to be in the form of three huge bins but sadly
decomposed!)
The two gardens at the back dump all their waste at the bottom of their
plots but this means that they are about 4 foot higher than mine!
They also have a lot of ivy left to grow up into the trees and what were
hawthorn hedges and this would creep into my bins if i don't use a solid
barrier such as a plastic or wooden frame.

I intended to clear everything flat at the bag, then put down weed
suppressant and gravel and then put the new bins on top so that they
have a gap from the hedge and I can hack back the ivy easily.

At the moment I have sited my five bins one to a deep bed so that I will
only have to lift the bin and disgorge the contents each time
Having cut the hedges and pruning back the shrubs I'll have tons of
shredding so I need a new bin.

Think plastic bags might be an idea but can get torn if rats or dogs
after rats start tearing at them

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy