Old 08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Elizabeth

Default Native rose

"Sunflower" wrote in message

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
.. .
Anybody good with species roses? The white flowered climbing rose is
blooming in Southern Louisiana right now. .
If anyone knows the name of this beauty, I'd be very grateful to learn

it.
Thanks,
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

It's rosa lavegata which actually isn't a naitive, but and invasive
foreigner that has naturalized itself throughout the Lower South, much

like
multiflora has throughout the Midwest and South. It's tender, and won't
grow much beyond zone 7 unless given winter protection.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Thank you for the information. I wouldn't have guessed it's invasive. The
one on my property has not spread in 8 years. In fact I can't even find it
except during the couple weeks in spring that it is blooming! It has
scrambled up a large tree but it is prettier than most of the vines in the
trees :-)
Thanks again, elizabeth