Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Earthmaker compost bin good or gimmick?

stuart noble wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
There is an advert in the RHS magazine for an Earthmaker compost bin.
It's a peculiar shape and advertises with a bit of scientific
explanation.
Website is
www.earthmaker.co.uk

is it an improvement on the normal design or just a gimmick? I have a
lot of shredding to do in the next few weeks and it would be nice to
put it in a new bin as all mine are currently full up. Don't want to
put too much on the garden as mulch until the end of the summer as
things dry out very quickly.

Janet

Well it will work, but so will a black dalek at £5, Thought £129 was
outrageous. I would buy 3 or 4 standard bins, however clever it is the
volume at the top was not very large and I suspect you would fill it
within an hour of starting your shredding.
(This time of year I shred into bags and stuff round the back of
things till I start cutting back in autumn and can see the ground again!)

I don't imagine the contents fall into the next container down in an
orderly fashion either.

I built three approximately 1 cubic meter bins earlier this year. The
idea being to fill 2 then move into the third as appropriate. They work
well but I have all three full! I only have a garden of about 1/2 and
acre. I simply used pallets from building sites. The builders were happy
to get rid of them, I even reused the nails during construction. I
certainly could not afford those prices.