Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Tree root danger? ? ?

Ray wrote:
We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches
from the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub,
but it's now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger
the foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks
to buckle up.

Is this a danger?

I would have to say that having _any_ 30-foot tree 10 inches form the house
is a very bad idea unless you are living in a tree house and that is your
support.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]