Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Elizabeth

Default Need to ID a Pear tree....

"JNJ" wrote in message
Several years back, I picked up a Pear tree to replace one that my folks

had
cut down many more years back. I planted him and he's growing decent, but
he's yet to fruit and he's been in the ground a good 6 years now. The

tree
does not flower either.

This was my first foray into a fruit bearing tree and I know it takes a

few
years to get fruit, but 6 years seems long enough. I'm starting to think

may have a non-fruit bearing variety (in spite of what the tag said).

SO, I'd like to ID the variety to confirm whether it is a fruiting or
non-fruiting type. I can take photos to post in the binaries group but
wanted to touch base here first to see what in particular I need to focus

on
in the pics so we can definitively ID it.

Suggestions?

James

You don't mention where you are located. Most pears have a chill

requirement of 600- 900 hours. In a very mild climate like So Cal, a high
chill pear might not set flowers at all. An early blooming variety could be
damaged by a late frost in a very cold winter area. There's no way to know
the variety from pictures, sorry to tell you. Do be sure to go out and
inspect the tree closely. Make sure that the growth is coming from above the
graft and not below. Think I'd replace the tree or have it topworked if it
doesn't bloom this spring . Six years should be long enough to see a flower.
Incidentally, most pears require pollinizers but that won't help till yours
is flowering. Local nurseries and a little research could get you a couple
of good varieties that will set fruit in your location. Do you remember what
the tag said?

elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA