Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM posted to sci.chem,rec.gardens,alt.survival,sci.environment
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default compost

In article
,
dejure wrote:

On Aug 2, 1:27 am, "V for Vendicar"
m wrote:
"Blattus Slafaly" wrote

Human crap is good for composting.

Well ---- No it isn't really.

If done on a large scale, ya. But on a small scale, - home composting -
it's both unsanitary and damages the compost.

Now if you have a new compost unit to start, then by all means, throw a
lump of dog shit into it, and wait until it's dark and take a good long ****
in it, and dump in some soil to get it activated.

Then Never again

Oh, and no grass clippings either - unless it's large scale.

The occasional broad leaf litter is ok though. But never large amounts.

Broad leaf litter will increase the carbon content of the compost, while
grass will increase the nitrogen content. In both cases, too much will make
it difficult to airate and can cause it to start to smell.

When farming ( a few hundred acres), we avoided tilling in straw and
similar things because it bound up the nitrogen and the plants
couldn't easily access it. On the other hand, we grew cover crops
over the winter and tilled in the green in the spring, as "green
manure." Both could be a grass, the difference was whether it was dry
or green.

At first glance, it seems the difference is wet cellulose vs. dry
cellulose. Does the cellulose content increase with drying? The
increased nitrogen demand should come from having more organisms in the
soil. That nitrogen will stay in the soil in the form or micro-organisms.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars