Old 02-08-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

I took on an allotment plot earlier this year, and quickly cleared half
of it to grow at least some crops this season whilst I intensively
double-dig and clear the other half. All of that is going well.

So, now I want to make a compost bin. Eventually I plan to have 3.

I have scavenged 4 pallets each of which is 3ft x 4ft which I intend to
use to build a box that is 3ft square and 4 ft high. One of the sides
will be loosely (but securely) tied in so that it is removable for access.

But what to do next? I have read so much here and on google that I am
utterly confused.

Firstly, should I line the box with something like lino or old carpet in
order to keep the heat in or leave it as it is to allow for aeration?

Secondly, do I have to stick to a strict regime as to how I build up the
layers? I was just thinking of simply piling in layers of stuff as and
when I harvested crops throughout the season , maybe throw in some grass
cuttings from home, maybe throw in paper from the shredding machine,
maybe throw in some straw if it available.

Do I have to add accelerators? Do I have to add lime? Do I have to turn
it? Do I add worms? Do I have to pee on it LOL!!

Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am
now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly
sickly sludge that it no good for anything.

Ed

Just dump it in a pile and keep it damp. Does not matter whether you
layer it or otherwise.

It's really not rocket science. g

I personally use construction grade giant trash bags. Fill them and
leave them open at the top. I let them sit for a year or so.

Makes great compost.

A simple alternative is to dig a small trench. Put your kitchen
scrapes into it, and then cover it back over.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars