Old 02-08-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vacutone Vacutone is offline

Default Hydrangea moisture requirements workaround?

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:35:31 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in message ):

You could consider running a 'leaky' hose to it that's invisible if placed
correctly. Then all you have to do is turn the tap on. I can never
remember the name of the stuff but someone will. It's specifically designed
for irrigation.

I know- I've got some- this is a good use for it. I can't remember the name
either. I think they make it frrom old tyres. I have some in the front garden
but I buried it about 4-5" below soil level and although it still seems to
work, I get the feeling that it is slowed down noticeably now, and I suspect
it is getting a bit clogged. I think I need to try this type of hose at
ground level maybe under a mulch but not much else.

I agree with you that they are things of great beauty and I think that it
won't be long before you're their slave and watering them won't seem any
kind of a chore at all! ;-) We have one unidentified one that is
absolutely snow white and it lifts my heart every time I see it - there's
just something so ethereal about its colour that is a contrast with its
rather sturdy shrub! If you really are in love with them you could consider
a collection all in one area that does perhaps make a focal point to your
garden, either as an avenue or border and then your watering could be
concentrated in one place. You can also make watering more effective by
putting about a foot length of pipe sunk into the ground beside the roots of
the plant and pouring the hose straight down it so it gets directly to the
roots. Keep an inch or four of pipe above the ground so it doesn't get
covered in earth and you 'lose' it.

Ok, that's a good idea. I'll try that- thanks.

PS Have you met H. paniculata yet? ;-))

Not in person, but I've seen some pictures. They are very good-looking
plants, and they seem to give a garden an atmosphere. I've come to hydrangeas
a bit late in life- or at least in the life of this garden, which is small
and has little room left in the moister areas for anything bigger than a
geranium. But we shall see.

--
Vacutone