Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat D Kat is offline

Default pond nightmare

It is important to distinguish between a 'waterway' or any body of water
that leads into a natural habitat and an artificial pond that has no natural
input or output. If it is the local artificial suburban pond, then if
permission is granted, there should be no issue.

Introducing any non-native species into the wild is bad yet we all abet in
it one way or another. If you purchase any foreign product you are playing
a part of importing foreign species. Mollusk come in on ships (not to
mention all sorts of bugs), anything can come in on a plane, and all those
wonderful plants from other parts of the world that we put in our gardens
are carrying viruses, bugs, weeds, etc. That fruit you are buying in the
winter just may bring in a bug or virus that can wipe out a native plant.

Do you live in the suburbs rather than the city (I do)? The worse harm to
our environment is spreading suburbia. In the U.S. land the size of a small
city is lost every day. That is one less habitat for wild things. Until
human population growth has stopped just about anything we do for the
environment is simply patting yourself on the back to make yourself feel
good. For well over 40 years I have done my best to conserve oil/gas,
support wildlife, etc. then the SUV came into existence and wiped out all my
work in one year. Still, if only on a matter of principal I think doing
what you can to take care of Mother Earth is important.

Donna

"Pete C" wrote in message
jenny23 wrote:

snippy
i've been trying to rehome fish but no takers so far, was considering
taking some down the local duck pond but have a feeling that would not
be a very good idea and probably would get me told off

snippy

Told off? Presecuted more like. It's illegal to introduce non native
species to waterways.
Good luck, whatever you do
--
Pete C