Old 02-08-2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Basil rooting

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:59:07 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

Hi all,

Since I have a gathering coming up soon, I took a couple snips of
shoots from my potted basil plant and plunked them in water. They seem
to be rooting just fine, but the apex leaves have turned black. I
pinched them off and am going to plant them in pots tomorrow, but is
this anything I should seriously worry about? As far as feeding them
to guests and family, I mean.

Thanks,

Chris

Should be fine. I'm growing several pots of basil on my sunny deck. I
feed them a little fish emulsion once a month but now I am having to
pinch off the flower buds. The basil transplanted to larger pots have
grown proportionally larger, as expected. The leaves turn black a few
hours after picking. Basil is a very useful herb and I use it fresh
whenever available.