Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree reccommendation?

In message
,
" writes
Thanks for all contributions so far. Here are some more pictures that
may help with identifying the existing trees, sorry but I'm hampered by
using a low quality phone camera and by the trees being the other side
of a high wall. The leaves are about hand-sized, and have five
"points", I think you can just about see from the photos.
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8081723hm0.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8081724oh2.jpg

Not limes then. I'd guess at London Plane (Platanus hispanica) or Norway
Maple (Acer platanoides) - the leaf apices are too acute for Sycamore
(Acer pseudoplatanus).

The plant in the foreground of the first picture is tulip-tree
(Liriodendron tulipifera).

Is the purple-leaved tree over to the left the same as the others, apart
from leaf colour? That would be a point in favour of Norway Maple;
purple leaved forms of that are quite commonly planted.

Otherwise, London Plane has mottled bark, and fuzzy round seed heads
(about 1 inch in diameter); Norway Maple has winged seeds in pairs, like
a Sycamore, or other maples.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley