Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected][_2_] dpydotsmw@hotmail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Tree reccommendation?

On 2 Aug, 22:57, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

Not limes then. I'd guess at London Plane (Platanus hispanica) or Norway
Maple (Acer platanoides) - the leaf apices are too acute for Sycamore
(Acer pseudoplatanus).

The plant in the foreground of the first picture is tulip-tree
(Liriodendron tulipifera).

Is the purple-leaved tree over to the left the same as the others, apart
from leaf colour? That would be a point in favour of Norway Maple;
purple leaved forms of that are quite commonly planted.

Otherwise, London Plane has mottled bark, and fuzzy round seed heads
(about 1 inch in diameter); Norway Maple has winged seeds in pairs, like
a Sycamore, or other maples.

Hi Stewart,

The purple-leaved tree is something else. From the pictures I've found
through Google I think Helene is right with acer campestre. Well-
spotted with the liriodendron tulipifera - that's the young tree
currently occupying the spot to be filled. However, as far as I can
see that is likely to grow far too large when it's mature, so the plan
is to remove it and replace with something more suitable.