Old 03-08-2008, 07:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Volunteer tomatoes

wrote in message

Since the mix included a lot of my homemade
compost, I can only conclude that (a) it contained a lot of tomato
seeds from the past and (b) the mix is nutritious!

I kept transplating these tomatoes to the veg. garden, where they
flourish like mad. Not a clue as to what variety is what, but I trust
they will all taste good. If all goes well (no wilt, please heaven)
there will enough to can -- first time in several years. Other good
thing is that the plants are different sizes, so the smaller ones will
bear longer (?) than the big ones.

Anybody have similar experience?

I always have at least some volunteer tomato plants each year, but then I
also have volunteer other plants too. The volunteer tom plants usually (but
not always) grow where a tomato has fallen the previous year and rotted on
the ground. Many people who have septic systems say that toms sprout in the
leach field. We've never had that happen.