Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening;,rec.gardens;,rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On 03/08/08 04:54, Sherwin wrote:
Ed,

To answer some of your questions:

You want to have a natural air flow through the pile, so don't line it
with anything.

Most important is to keep the pile moist. Dry piles don't go anywhere.

Certain things can add to the speed of the processing. One of these is
to chop up everything as fine as you can. I take leaves and grass that
have been run through a lawn mower. Straight whole leaves tend to pack
together and slow things down. You can add an accelerant, like some
fertilizer, but it is not absolutely necessary. I try to alternate the
layers of the pile with green (i.e. grass) and brown (leaves). Turn the
pile ( I try and do this at least once a season ) putting the dry
unprocessed material on the bottom and the dark processed matter, on
top. Water tends to settle to the bottom and that's where you want to
assist the parts of the pile that are not quite cooked yet.

Sherwin

Thanks Sherwin. That is very clear advice.

Ed